I was at a party and a slightly drunk young man and I were having a conversation (which is to say he was talking about his totally rad new car and I was politely nodding and saying that’s pretty cool with feigned interest). Next thing he asks me “So are you, like, a hipster or somethin?”
Me, a hipster? Um, no sir, I don’t do hipster. I mean I like being unique and individual, but I am in no way a hipster.
But now that I think about it, could I be? Lets see shall we
- Do you have a pair of large glasses? Yes. But I have a prescription!
- Would you consider yourself artistic? Yes.
- Do you have a messenger bag? Yes. But I carry my laptop to class!
- Do you own more than one flannel shirt? Yes. But their just so comfy! And have you seen the kind of women’s tops they sell now? I do not want to dress like a stripper thank you very much.
- Do you carry your iPod around with you? Um, yes, but only because I get bored sometimes.
- Are you a health nut? Yes.
- Do you reject conventional religious figures? Not exactly….. my religion is Google. Google is conventional right?
- How are your feelings about typing in Arial font? No! NO! No Arial! Anything but Arial!
- Do you frequently shop at a thrift store/ vintage store/ urban outfitters? Yes.
- Are you opposed to wearing brand names? Yes, but only because I’m on a college student’s non-existent salary. The only kinds of brands I can afford are not the ones you really want to be parading around in public.
- Do you listen to mainstream music? Yes.
So there it is folks, I am NOT a hipster. I listen to mainstream music. That makes me a regular person with really weird tastes in fashion.