I’m stumped. Three weeks ago I enrolled in an online writing course recommended by my professor. It’s a four year course, and I’m pretty excited. I’m also pretty blocked. I have nothing. Zilch. Nada. The first assignment is the easiest one and I haven’t got a thing to say.
Tell us in about 300 words why you want to write and your ambitions for the future.
Why do I want to write? I don’t really know. Isn’t ‘because I like to’ a sufficient answer? So I come to you blog friends. It seems like I think better when I know who I’m talking to. (also in my head, the tutor is a cyborg*)
I want to write because :
- I like to.
- It helps me get out of my head. Everything that is a blurry mass of emotions and thoughts all become clearer. I hope someone, somewhere, will find my messed up chaotic thoughts meaningful in some way.
- I want to make people laugh. Making people cry is easy, you just throw in a self-sacrificing doctor who dies in a mudslide trying to protect orphans (ahem, Nicolas Sparks) and the everyone’s in tears. Making people laugh is completely different.
- It helps me feel more confident about myself. Ever since I started this blog, I realized that I’ve become a lot more confident in real life. I don’t know how it happened. I’ve always been a shy person, and I’m noticing that I’m standing a lot taller, and talking a lot more.
- Someday I want to say the words ‘I am a writer’. I want to tell people that they can take their fancy business school degrees and their stupid (and rapidly becoming redundant) IT jobs and take a hike, because I love what I do ‘I am a writer.’
- I love stories. I like reading them, I like telling them. I love the look on a kid’s face when you tell him a story. I want to put that face on more people. I want to watch them escape into a fantasy and forget about the real world.
- I guess I’d like to make a difference. I admire people who make big signs and scream their voices sore, I really do. But I think today with the internet we can reach so many more people than a megaphone ever could. Maybe someday my words might make a difference in the world.
Why do you write?
*Not that I’m afraid of cyborgs or anything. I mean, they might be terrifying to some, but not me. Nope. Not at all.